I suggest you...

The latest version constantly logs output in to the chrome developer console

The latest version constantly logs output in to the chrome developer console. It should never print anything in to the chrome console unless explicitly in development mode. For web developers it's just filling up the console with messages on every single site. This needs to be turned off now.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminWikiwand (Support, WikiWand) responded  · 

We are working on this right now. However this is not so easy to do, because we need to have debug output for our development purpose. we tried to get info about the mode extension is running in, but to fulfill this we need to add Management API permission which makes our users unhappy. So now we are investigating other ways to switch off console.log output for real users

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicolas De Smyter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you could just add an option or a settings page to the plugin. So you can set that option to "debug" for your sake, and "default" for everbody who doesn't care for your debug logs (like... everybody!)

Now I have to disable the plugin just because of these annoying logs. I am a developer, so use the console constantly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is still occuring. There are absolutely insane amounts of logging occurring while I am developing other applications. Please turn this off immediately for god's sake. It should be a quick configuration change.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If, like me, the only feature you need is automatically redirecting Wikipedia links to Wikiwand, you can uninstall this extension and replace it with ZeroWiki: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zerowiki/cklaghejbnabhfdlaelhbjdepkfodkcj. Just make sure you pick "Wikiwand" as the mirror after installing.

(Not only does ZeroWiki keep your console quiet; it also keeps its permissions confined to "Read and change your data on all wikipedia.org sites", rather than demanding "Read and change all your data on the websites you visit" like Wikiwand.)

• Alejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this logging. As already stated in other comments, you can use a combination of the debug npm package, conditionally enabling it with some localStorage key and/or multiple dev/prod builds.

This is super annoying. Don't spam my console. Especially when I've disabled your unnecessary "feature"

Maybe use `debug`, from npm? Some kind of localStorage key, or global variable, which toggles the noisy logging, would probably work fine.

Partial fix, for any developers frustrated with this right now:

In the DevTools console, under settings, you can restrict console output to "selected context only"--this silences the logging from wikiwand, but also from any other js contexts.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Came here to report this. I don't mind the logging, but it shouldn't be running on all websites when I have quick-definition turned off!

Indeed it always show "do not show on websites" from jquery. Thanks for your work!

+1 to this, all the console logs are clogging up my own debugging on chrome projects. The webpack suggestion in an anonymous comment below is a good one that I've used.

• Shailendra Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

create some custom function say `putLogs` define it like function putLog(...params) { console.log(..params); }, and in prod just make the defination of funtion empty like function putLog(...params) {}, if it is real important, but they shouldn't be there.

• Bijan Albuyeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

0 reason to have Wikiwand loaded when quick definition is not enabled. This is inefficient.

Also is anyone else seeing the irony that it logs "Do not show on websites"

• Vic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        Got a lot a logs from cards-click.js, like "do not show on websites" or "detected link", very annoying for web development. Why is the extension even loaded on other websites when quick definition is disabled ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base